Monday, February 4, 2013

White Elephants

When I say that I think almost every women can in some way relate to "Hills Like White Elephants", I mean almost EVERY women. At first, the short story is read without much thought or effort. However, after analyzing it and hearing others' opinions on the story, my view was completely changed.

The story begins by introducing two main characters, the American and Jig. The characters go on to have an elaborate discussion about whether or not they should go about having a procedure done. It is up to the reader to decide what procedure they're talking about but I chose to believe that they were discussing an abortion. Jig, the girl, is very hesitant and resisting the idea. Yet, when the american begins to describe how much better their lives would be and how much more he would love her, she begins to agree.

I think that in more ways than one, I can relate to this story. At one point in my life I was willing to do just about anything for someone that I truly cared for. Jig seems very naiive and easily manipulated. She is in a relationship with a man she believes loves her and is telling her all the things she has always wanted to hear. However, she is battling with herself for what she wants and what her morals may be. I can relate to that because sometimes in life, we forget who we are and what we stand for because of trivial things.

I think that Jig, although possibly young, should have known that she is the keeper of her body and has the right to keep the baby if she wanted. But because of the American influencing her otherwise, she chose not to. Unfortunately women get put in positions like this on a daily basis all over the world and may not believe that they have the power of their word and power over their bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment